Cisco 200-125 Exam
Which destination addresses will be used by Host A to send data to Host C? (Choose two.)
- A. the IP address of Switch 1
- B. the MAC address of Switch 1
- C. the IP address of Host C
- D. the MAC address of Host C
- E. the IP address of the router’s E0 interface
- F. the MAC address of the router’s E0 interface
Answer: Option C. F.
Host A has to get packets to the router to get them out of the LAN and to another network. This means that the router will decapsulate the frame carrying the packet, and re-encapsulate it when the packet is retransmitted. So, the frame that Host A sends has to have the MAC address of the routers E0 interface, not
Host Cs MAC address. But the IP address remains unchanged across decap/encap, so the destination IP address will be Host Cs IP address.
Remember: MAC addresses are used to deliver frames within a link/subnet, but routers discard them. IP addresses are used to deliver packets across multiple links/subnets.