- A. To identify applications causing congestion.
- B. To authorize user network access.
- C. To report and alert link up / down instances.
- D. To diagnose slow network performance, bandwidth hogs, and bandwidth utilization.
- E. To detect suboptimal routing in the network.
- F. To confirm the appropriate amount of bandwidth that has been allocated to each Class of Service.
NetFlow facilitates solutions to many common problems encountered by IT professionals.
+ Analyze new applications and their network impact
Identify new application network loads such as VoIP or remote site additions.
+ Reduction in peak WAN traffic
Use NetFlow statistics to measure WAN traffic improvement from application-policy changes; understand who is utilizing the network and the network top talkers.
+ Troubleshooting and understanding network pain points
Diagnose slow network performance, bandwidth hogs and bandwidth utilization quickly with command line interface or reporting tools.
+ Detection of unauthorized WAN traffic
Avoid costly upgrades by identifying the applications causing congestion.
+ Security and anomaly detection
NetFlow can be used for anomaly detection and worm diagnosis along with applications such as Cisco CS-Mars.
+ Validation of QoS parameters
Confirm that appropriate bandwidth has been allocated to each Class of Service (CoS) and that no CoS is over-or under-subscribed. http://www.c isco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-netflow/prod_white_paper0900aecd80406232.html